Gentoo es mi distribución favorita y acaba de publicarse la última versión denominada Gentoo 2008.0
Entre las novedades podemos encontrar:
* Updated installer: The installer now only performs networkless installations using the packages and ebuild tree on the LiveCD. It also contains numerous fixes for extended and logical partitions.
* Improved hardware support: Moving to the 2.6.24 kernel added many new drivers for hardware released since the 2007.0 release.
* Complete rework of profiles: Restructuring profiles allowed significant cleanup of redundancies, reducing developer maintenance and confusion. The difference for you is that profiles now appear in /usr/portage/profiles/ under default/linux/ instead of default-linux/. See the upgrading guide for more details.
* Xfce instead of GNOME on the LiveCD: To save space, the LiveCDs switched to the smaller Xfce environment. This means that a binary installation using the LiveCD will install Xfce, but you’re still free to build GNOME or KDE from source.
* No LiveDVDs on x86 or amd64: In the interest of getting the release out, the release engineering team decided to postpone LiveDVDs because of problems in their generation. They may show up laterâ€”if so, we’ll let you know.
* Updated packages: Highlights of the 2008.0 release include Portage 220.127.116.11, a 2.6.24 kernel, Xfce 4.4.2, gcc 4.1.2 and glibc 2.6.1.
Nuevo instalador, nuevo kernel, XFCE para el LiveCD, cambio en los profiles, suena bien, esta noche lo dejo upgradeando 😀